iOS 4 significantly slows down the iPhone 3G

Just a quick post to warm people that the iOS 4.0 upgrade will significantly slow down an iPhone 3G. I don’t know if it’s the slower processor or the lack of RAM, but I very much regret making the upgrade. The only useful features of iOS 4 that are enabled on the 3G are folders and the new version of Mail. While those are nice, they don’t begin to make up for the incredibly slowness of the update for certain tasks. Typing in addresses in Mail, for example, often hangs the phone for several seconds. It now takes a few seconds for the settings menu to first come up, as well.

13 responses to “iOS 4 significantly slows down the iPhone 3G”

1. I totally agree with you! I regret making the upgrade. It takes 10 seconds to come up text, calendar and all apps. Typing mail and text is really bad. The apple store employee told me that there is nothing they can do because 3G is old phone and can’t keep up with upgrade iOS 4 upgrade. I wish the apple did not let me upgrade…… I was happy with 3G….

2. Fully agree with you guys – I wish I had not upgraded. The features such as folders, digital zoom and single inbox do not outweigh the slowness, esp. of the calendar function.

• I know. It’s amazing. It’s almost as if Apple never actually tested this on 3G phones. It’s so slow as to be unusable for certain functions. For example, people are reporting that it takes almost half a minute–consistently–to rotate the display on the iBook application.

• I hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be impossible for a user to downgrade the iOS version. However, sometimes Apple stores can do things like this. For example, some of the MacBook Pros have hard drive problems under the current firmware version (is it me, or is Apple’s quality control going downhill?) and people have been able to get Apple Geniuses to downgrade them to the previous version. Can’t hurt to ask.

• I went to the Apple store and they had the nerve to tell me we are sorry nothing we can do. I asked about if I could reset it and they told me no.
        I than asked why didnt they tell us about this or have a warning and they said sorry. Are they kidding me .. This seems to be a way for them to make us buy the new Iphone..
        This company is losing all its intrgerity with me for sure. I guess it is time to find a better company to use in the future. Even At&T should be making a statement too seeing they are the only carrier. I guess birds of a feather flock together on this issue.
        If anyone has any ideas or solutions please share them…….
        Mike of newyorkmike

• Have you tried the soft reset mentioned in one of the other comments? I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. If that doesn’t work, I’ve also heard of people having success with a hard reset; basically, just use the option to “restore” your phone from within iTunes. It will return the phone to factory settings and then put all your data back on the phone. That’s about as clean a slate as you can get, and if that doesn’t work, I think nothing will short of Apple figuring out a way to downgrade iOS from 4 to 3.

3. I haven’t quite figured out why the sexual urge of men and women differ so much. And I never really figured out the whole Venus and Mars thing. I have never figured out why men think with their head and women with their heart.

4. Totally!! Are we back to Microsoft era or something?! What was the point of buying Apple anymore?! I’m seriously thinking of switching to Blackberry or something!